Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Our bathroom

 When we moved into our house my cousin and her husband had re-painted the inside and done some little stuff to spruce it up. My grandparents had previously lived here for 50 years and while the house had been well maintained their style was different from ours. We are slowly working on making the house more ours.. It's been kind of a tough process because there are a lot of memories tied to these walls, it's where my grandparents raised 4 kids. We have had great memories here, and sad ones too. I struggle with changing things from how they had it to how we want it. I know it's okay, and I know that my grandma would be cheering me on but it's still kind of hard.

That said, we have been working slowlllllly on our bathroom. I have mentioned before that our house is small, our finished living space is around 1000 sq ft. We have 3 bedrooms and one bathroom upstairs and 1 bedroom and bathroom downstairs. Our bathroom is small.. really small. I dream of a large bathroom with a walk in shower and a huge soaker tub, but that doesn't fit in with our long term money goals. (more on that another day)

So back to our bathroom re-do. I wish I would have taken a before picture but I forgot last year. The husband installed sticky tiles and a new pedestal sink last year for my birthday. Previously we had a large vanity with drawers that just took up too much space for our little bathroom.

Fast forward to now, I decided I wanted to get our bathroom completely done. We had a wooden shelving unit that hung above our toilet, it was great for storage but I didn't like the wood. Actually everything was wood, our medicine cabinet, towel rod, light fixture and toilet paper holder. We changed everything out to chrome and painted the medicine cabinet and shelving unit white.

Our sticky tiles that my sweet husband looked all over for because I wanted them to have blue in them started to move on the floor. It was frustrating and looked horrible so we bought a remnant piece of linoleum that looks like tile for $29 from Home Depot. SCORE!

We also have been having some problems with our toilet, and I ran across an awesome one with buttons at Sam's Club for only $98 so we went ahead and replaced that too. We added baseboard and changed our shower curtain rod to a chrome one. (not in the picture) All in all, I am really proud of our bathroom and I love the way it looks. There are a few minor things I want to do still but I don't think I will ever feel like a room is "done"!
Original floor, you can see some of the sticky tiles on the bottom right


New toilet and floor.
 You can also see the shelf above the toilet that we painted white.
The trashcan is my next thing to go.
Pretty much finished.
I am going to find something to put next to the sink to hide the plumbing.

What do you think? I am happy with it and I get excited every time I go in there!


--Mel

No comments: